… Strawberry Singh’s What’s your Digits? – Take 3: Proportions Challenge
For this week’s Monday Meme, Berry is bringing back her “What’s you Digits” challenge. This is the third time I’m doing this challenge and I’ve realized something: Cats don’t like change… and apparently nekos don’t like it either! I changed only one slider compared to my previous entry, and only three since my first!
Anyway, Berry wanted us to answer some questions too, so here goes:
Proportions Challenge Questions:
- Do you try and keep your avatar’s body proportionate and similar to the “average” proportions pictured above? – Exactly that: I try to. It’s the reason I decided to make my own shape a couple of years back. I wanted to get as close to realistic proportions as I could get.
- What do you dislike the most about the SL avatar mesh? – Now that I have pretty mesh hands and feet, there is just one thing I’d like to change on the avatar mesh: ears. I have lovely fluffy neko ears, so I don’t need those fleshing things on the side of my head. I made them as small as I could, but I’d really like an option to get rid of them completely, without having to use an alpha-layer and two flesh colored prims.
- Does it bother you when you see other avatars that are not proportionate at all? – Sometimes. I don’t mind it if it was done to create a certain effect and the rest of the avatar reflects that. Basically, if an avatar is well put together I can appreciate that. Even when it’s a style I personally don’t care for.
- Even though this is a virtual world and people can be anything they want to be, do you feel when they are in human form, they should try to keep their proportions close to average? Yes and no. No, because who am I to tell someone what to do? But yes, because for some reason when proportions go to far away from what is naturally possible, I find it can become uncomfortable to look at. Maybe because our mind thinks it looks human, but it isn’t what it expects? Just guessing here…
I always thought (hoped) that my avatar was pretty realistic. But I decided to use the Model Shape Tool Berry mentioned in her post to test if it actually was.
And as it turned out… not quite. Legs too long, arms to short, head too small…ouch. So just to experiment, I made a copy of my shape and fiddled around a bit. I kept Sama’s overall height the same, but changed her height slider to 70, head size to 80, arm length to 90 and leg length to 30.
I’m not sure if I like her better this way. The truth may be somewhere in the middle, I think. Maybe I’ll have made some actual changes by the time “What’s your Digits – Take 4” comes about.
- Hair – Lamb (lamb.bellic)
- Skin – Pink Fuel (mochi.milena)
- Eyes – Poetic Colors (lano.ling)
- Eyelashes – Maxi Gossamer (maxi.gossamer)
- Neko Ears – OTCR (anisa.naumova)
- Neko tail – Lemon Tea (sei.minuet)
- Hands and feet – Slink (siddean.munro)
- Shirt – fri.day (darling.monday)
- Jeans – Kyoot (saeya.nyanda)
- Pose – Exposeur (rubystarlight.writer)